Why a Black Cloud?

I will explain the "black cloud". My mother's family from time to time would say that if anything bad that could happen would happen to them and called it the black cloud. I find this to be true in my life almost on a daily basis. Just like a friend my black cloud is present everyday. Let me make this clear...I talk about my black cloud in an entirely jokingly way. I laugh about most things, even when they are bad....it's all going to be alright. My faith is such that the Lord will provide and even if I don't know how in the world we are going to fix whatever has happened, he knows. So please any of my bad things that I mention, know that I am laughing and remaining faithful while I am typing! And please LAUGH because I am!



He that is afraid of bad luck will never know good" -RussianProverb

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11/01

The following takes place over about three or fours days-beginning with the attacks. Jason, my husband was an over the road truck driver and I had taken a two week trip with him (this was the second week).

Everyone asks where you were when.....well here is my 9/11 story:

I awoke to an annoying announcer on the radio that kept repeating something about a tower over and over. I climbed out of the bunk and noticed the dog was wanting to go out. I changed the radio and found that that station was also saying something about towers-to me at that moment I heard tower and thought radio tower. I turned the station again and again "towers". I decided to stop and listen as I was putting on my shoes and the dog's leash. That is when I heard that a second plane had hit the World Trade Center. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I woke Jason and asked him to take the dog out so I could listen to what was going on. Little did I  know at that moment the chaos, fear and uncertainty that I would feel over the next few days.

We were parked on an entrance ramp outside of St. Louis. Later at a truck stop in East St. Louis IL, we finally saw the images for the first time on a tv screen. Unbelievable. I felt like I couldn't breath. I felt like I needed to do something but had no idea what that something was. I wanted to go home...to hug my children, my mama, my daddy and meme but I knew there was no quick way to get home. I knew there was nothing I could do to make this terrible feeling go away. The stories and rumors had begun on the CB. I couldn't even begin to remember all of the things we heard that turned out not to be true. We did hear about the Pentagon and the Pennsylvania crash but we didn't know to believe it or not. That is until we saw it for ourselves at the next stop with a tv. 

We listened to our President as he made his speak that night on the radio. We were glued to the radio night and day trying to sort out all of the stories we were hearing and trying to stay on top of what was happening to our great Nation. It was so emotional for us...and a mixed bag at that. Anger set in at some point.

We went past the Indianapolis Airport and there wasn't a single plane in the sky...what an eerie site...we had been past it before and saw a lot of planes circling and then to go back past and nothing was moving at all.  We eventually had to head to the northeast. We never went into NY but we were very close. the closer we got the more banners we saw-hanging from overpasses-signs hanging on fences along the turnpike. Tears flowed. this all was for real...it was really happening...we had been attacked and many many people had died and for what? Why were we hated that much?

We made our way south and had the opportunity to go through Washington DC and right past the Pentagon. It was still smoking. There was a tension in the air that I can't explain. 

I didn't know anyone who was killed that day but there was a strong sense of mourning that I felt-these were fellow Americans.

Today, I remember these people, I remember those in our military that have died in this "war on terror" and I remember those who went into these buildings to save others and never made it back out.

Today, I am thankful for our military, and our nations first responders.  These men and women have a selfless spirit that pushes them to do things everyday without a second thought. Ordinary people who do extraordinary things. I am thankful for my family and I, like most, hold them a little closer now because of the events of 9/11/01.

No comments:

Post a Comment