Why a Black Cloud?

I will explain the "black cloud". My mother's family from time to time would say that if anything bad that could happen would happen to them and called it the black cloud. I find this to be true in my life almost on a daily basis. Just like a friend my black cloud is present everyday. Let me make this clear...I talk about my black cloud in an entirely jokingly way. I laugh about most things, even when they are bad....it's all going to be alright. My faith is such that the Lord will provide and even if I don't know how in the world we are going to fix whatever has happened, he knows. So please any of my bad things that I mention, know that I am laughing and remaining faithful while I am typing! And please LAUGH because I am!



He that is afraid of bad luck will never know good" -RussianProverb

Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Bubba

My Aunt Eunice aka Bubba was one of the funniest ladies I have ever met. She could make you laugh even without trying.  One thing I remember her saying about another lady "she must be a good cook" in reference to this particular lady's size..lol. I never knew her husband, Hub, but I am sure there had to be a lot of laughter in that house with the two of them. Here's a story I have been told many times about Hub and Eunice: Hub came home drunk one night and I guess Eunice was up worried about him and waiting on him to return home. When Hub started toward the house, Eunice started to pray and ask Jesus to watch over her poor drunk husband. Hub told her not to tell Jesus he was drunk to tell him he was sick!

Bubba let me drive her around once in her huge boat of a car. I don't remember if I had my license yet or not. If she was afraid, she didn't let me know it, instead she sat there in the front seat with me and smiled the entire way.

 She taught me to make a treat like no other...chocolate rolls...kind of like cinnamon rolls but with chocolate and we all know chocolate makes everything great!. After attempting to make my Granny's biscuits three times and them not ever tasting like Granny's, I decided to make some chocolate rolls..think my family is sick of taste testing biscuits, then telling me they are good and then me saying/whining "but they aren't like Granny's"...lol...they don't know because they never tasted a Granny biscuit. I remember standing in Bubba's kitchen as she made the dough and rolled it out, put the cocoa powder, sugar and lots of butter on it. As they baked the smell of chocolate was intoxicating. I couldn't wait to taste these delectable gooey chocolate treats! If it weren't 2am, I would be in the kitchen baking them right now!

Tomorrow, my children will have a lovely treat of chocolate rolls and I will have the truely sweet memory of Bubba, a wonderful lady and another terriffic cook that shared a little piece of herself with me as a child.

Tonight, I am thankful for Bubba, chocolate rolls and the wonderful childhood memories I have of her. I am thankful that I will be able to pass a little piece of Bubba on to my children, who didn't know her like I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment